This information is placed here as a service, but has no guarantee.
It is left to
SOUTH DIXON'S CORNERS CEMETERY
Located along County Road No. 2, just south of Dixon's Corners, one of the oldest cemeteries in this area. Lot 18, Concession IV, Matilda Township, Dundas County, Ontario. Burials are recorded here as early as 1826 and several during the 1850's. Earliest tombstone burial date is 1825, latest 1958. Part of the foundation of a former church still remains in the north west corner of the cemetery. This was undoubtedly one, if not the first church in Matilda Township.
For many years, little or no attention has been given to the upkeep of this very old, and, of recent years, little used cemetery. As a centennial project considerable change has been brought about in the appearance of this sacred landmark, with a program of cleanup and restoration in 1966. The area was leveled by drawing several yards of fill. Boulders were removed, brush torn out or cut, and several tombstones straightened, and a new fence erected around the grounds.
The stones have been set up in rows. However, many of them have been cemented in place, obscuring some of the data.